The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
The demise of the Valjoux 72 engine...
In Response To: New Photo of an Old Friend ()

: I just took this photo of a Valjoux 72
: movement, in a mid-60's Autavia, and thought
: that others might like to have a look.

: What a pretty movement.

Agreed... She's a good lookin' movement, I still prefer the looks of the Lemania 2310 (Omega c.321)...

Which leads me to question... The Lemania 2310 (which is what the Omega c.321 is based on) was modernized (in the c.187x series) but is still in production in both it's 2310 and upgraded 2320 version... The v.72 seemingly faded sometime around 1985 or so... Rolex was using them up until they switched the Daytona over to the El-Primero Movement, and Heuer had a couple of Golden Hour's models available in the 1984-87 timeframe... Did lack of interest cause Valjoux to cease production of the 72 series, or did Valjoux slow/cease it's production which caused fewer firms to utilize it?

I wonder where the tooling is (if it still exists) and if it could be revived...

Or would ETA/Valjoux/Swatch Group prefer to have people use a Tri-Compax 7750 with or without the rotor to achieve the same effect?

Any thoughts?

-- Chuck

Messages In This Thread

New Photo of an Old Friend
The demise of the Valjoux 72 engine...
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE