The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
My problem with (...) second authentication & theory

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the input.In one of the links that you added to your first reaction , there's one of particular interest ( see below) I refer to the one by Mr Morley. His' has a link which refers to a watch owned by a Mr Wong from Singapore. This Ebay sale includes 7 photos. The last one shows a letter which Mr Wong received in 2007 from TAG Heuer. In that letter the Blue Monaco has been particularly dated as the version which came before the blue white and the grey manual version. This is important information. Not only is the authenticity confirmed anew, there's also information now when it should be dated. This story could be checked by comparing case numners of Blue versions and later Blue White and Grey version. Unfortunately I have none of those.I do have the serial number of the Blue version that I have owned and will post it later

I truely agree to your and Rich' dial analyses. However do not exclude the option that for the blue version a new supplier was invited,who, just did a lousy job as far as the printing of the dial is concerned. This may also be the reason that we have seen so few. Can't be more than 10-20 that I saw.Maybe only one batch of dials was ordered in total from that supplier after which the project was closed. This wouldn't surprise me at all after all the stories by Mr Bishop (?) from Heuer UK, who sat next to me during the Bonham dinner.Talked to him for about 2 hrs. Lots of improvisation took place in those days when certain parts were lacking and delivery pressure was high. Mr Bishop even said that that may have contributed to the wide variation of different types, hands, bezels in watches with the same type number. Good for us collectors!

All in all I believe its is a genuine Heuer however not a type of which they were very proud in hindside.

Here's the link to Mr. Wongs Ebay auction, The letter is clear enough to read.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110644627072&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Ron

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE