The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: 2448T - eBay @ $2,185
In Response To: Re: 2448T - eBay @ $2,185 ()

Mark, there are a number of problems with the watch. I won't sugar coat them, so you can decide how to proceed from there.

The 65229 number is the serial for the watch, which would indeed put it in the range quoted by TAG Heuer. So that bit's ok.

Now for the bad news. The crown is incorrect, it should be flatter rather than having that raised section but that's not the end of the world. The buckle markings reveal it to be a reissue buckle rather than a vintage one, but the 750 means it is 18K gold so that is in that sense better than the gold-plated one it would have had originally. The 1/5 second ring has lost all of its markings.

Now, the dial. The outside tachy scale has been refinished, the numbers should be more stylised as you can see in the photo below. The original lume has been lost as part of the dial refinishing. The registers have been refinished - the numbers are off, it looks like the concentric rings have been ground out, the 12 hour register numbers shouldn't be smaller and the refinisher was having a bad day because rather than putting the "SWISS" in this register, it's right at the bottom of the dial.

So far so bad, but what clinches it is the "Carrera" text and especially the Heuer shield. Those are very poor and would turn me off the watch alone, even if everything else was correct. Take a look at how they should look on this 2447 T below:

The red hands are all incorrect.

The gold plate on the case probably looks excellent because it has been done relatively recently, I'm afraid. The lugs should be much sharper, so the case has been fairly heavily polished before plate was reapplied. I came to this bit last because, even if you spent additional money in putting right the problems with the dial, it would still be in an overpolished case.

So that's my take on it, up to you of course what you do with the above in terms of finishing the purchase.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE