The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Possible "Poorman" Manual Autavia w/Facelift?

"17 Rubis" and "Incabloc" are almost always warning signs that things are not as they were when the watch left the Heuer factory. The Heuer shield looks to be on top of some dial peel too, what an archaeologist would call stratification - the thing on top is later than the thing underneath, put simply. Now we've seen some dials where paint is lost around the printing so it's not impossible, but it looks a bit suspect to me.

The hands look like the inverse of the hands used on the Dugena and especially the Primato "Autavias", i.e. there is lume where those have an insert and vice versa:

Case is a bit polished too.

The Heuer stamping on the bridge is not normally gilded on the 7733/4/6 so that looks out of place. Even more so though is the maker's mark on the movement - at the point Heuer were using these movements, we should expect them to have the stylised "R" mark within the "butterfly" shield for Valjoux. Can't really make out the marking on that watch, but it's certainly not the Valjoux R nor an ESA/ETA one I'm familiar with. Kind of looks like an Andreas Schild mark where someone's elbow got knocked halfway through and botched the result...

Messages In This Thread

Possible "Poorman" Manual Autavia w/Facelift?
Never been a Heuer....
Re: Possible "Poorman" Manual Autavia w/Facelift?
Brain fade, Adolph not Andreas Schild *NM*
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE