The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Heuer Silverstone
In Response To: Heuer Silverstone ()

As David says, there are a lot of grey areas around these Silverstones (and the version without the name on the dial).

I have seen Heuer day wheels in German, French and Italian as well as English, so the fact it's not in English isn't immediate cause for concern. It is unusual for it to be in white on black though.

The crown is definitely wrong - not only is it signed where we would expect an unsigned crown, it is also a couple of mm too small for the cutout on the case. And I ask myself why an NOS watch would have a replacement crown.

Difficult to tell on the second hands as they are overlaid, but the hour hand, although of the right type, is too narrow compared to the hands we usually see on these.

Production was somewhat chaotic at Heuer in this period, with a number of changes in ownership, so it's hard to be definitive about what did actually come out of the factory. But there are definitely Lemania Silverstones being made from parts (and not always the same parts that were used originally) and some of those try too hard to authenticate the watch with extra signing etc. I think the best advice is to tread carefully, ask questions and be reasonably sceptical.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE