The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: 70's carrera, was this a deal?
In Response To: 70's carrera, was this a deal? ()

Hi Kenny, and welcome to the forum.

Looked a nice watch, I'm not surprised it went quickly at that price. Third gen Carreras have tended to be at the cheaper end of the Carrera spectrum, but that's the sort of price you might have been paying four or five years ago so pretty much a bargain today.

Whenever I talk about buying barrel Carreras, I urge any prospective buyer to try one on before buying. It's not that it's heavy as such, and the overall dimensions are within a mm of the second gen, but it's the height of the case that dominates the wearing experience with the barrels. Whereas the second gen has quite a domed crystal, the third is steel pretty all the way up with its mineral glass nearly flush. As a result, it feels quite high on the wrist. Not uncomfortably so and nothing you wouldn't acclimatise to, but I was certainly much more aware of wearing a watch with my first barrel than any of the other Carreras. Hence the advice to try before you buy.

Not to put anyone off, you get perhaps the most distinctive Carrera dial with most of these! http://www.calibre11.com/cotes-de-geneve/

Mark

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE