The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Second time I've seen one of these now

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-70s-Heuer-Carrera-Automatic-Chronograph-Date-Steel-Watch-/310355345711?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48429ec12f

We have good documentary evidence for the 110.253 B reusing the barrel Carrera's CdG dial. The 110.253 G and 110.255 have bespoke dials. But now this is the second time I have seen a 110.253 with the correct handset using a fumé dial. Using the F dial wouldn't require anything over and above the B dial in terms of handset, so I'm starting to lean towards these being genuine, just not documented in sales literature.

Two samples isn't really definitive (though it is as many as I have seen of the silver "yachting" Carrera, in slightly different circumstances - one is a bespoke dial, the other a Heuer-performed dial transplant between two generations of Carrera) so I'll ask if people could have a look through their photo archives and see if they turn up any more examples. To be specific, what I'm looking for are late second gen Carreras, preferably also showing caseback, with the brown/smoke/fumé Côtes de Geneve dial. If I get enough, it should make for a definitive answer on whether they left the factory as 110.253 Fs or have had a dial transplant somewhere along the line.

Thanks, Mark

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE