The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
My Conclusion

Having read all the messages below (about analog and digital, and vinyl and CDs), I will stick with my conclusion: It is almost impossible for any amateur photographer to take consistently good photos of watches, on film. For all the reasons that Jim pointed out in his message, watches are a tough subject and most photographers need the instant feedback of the digital image to see what adjustments are required.

So unless you can shoot like Bruce, digital is the way to go for watches. It might be satisfying to get that perfect image on a nice old-fashioned piece of film, but I probably have a better chance of winning the lottery (at which time I will hire professionals to photograph and catalog the then vastly-expanded Heuer collection).

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Sorry this one is a bit late. But I'm still
: analogue for my SLR, so had to dev, scan,
: retouch dust marks, etc etc.

: Realised I couldn't get anywhere near the
: standard of photography by some of the guys
: on this site, so tried something different.
: Not sure it really worked but it's a start.

: ..also realised think I need to buy a macro
: lens and some lights (this one used a slide
: light box for lighting).

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE