The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Questions about Heuer Carrera 1553

Just looks like a dirty silver to me Aaron! I don't think it's intentionally gold, just that that bit has become dirty - the Tachy scale looks clean so I'm not sure how the dial got that patinated. Hard to tell if the rest of the dial is - it should be a dark midnight blue with a subtly metallic finish on a 1553 of this age, a bit purplish from some angles. Difficult to photograph accurately. The silver bit should be clearly metallic, and both elements are lightly horizontally brushed.

The hands on that example are definitely Carrera hands, but it's unusual to see the early narrow versions on a watch as late as a 1553. These are the hands the 1153s went to once stocks of the initial polished steel hands ran out. 1553s normally have the wider version of the same hands to better match the double markers. We do see plenty of mixing and matching of hands and markers though, so it's not entirely out of the question that these are original.

One final question - are the pushers fluted? Can't make it out from the photo, but that one's unequivocal - the watch would have had fluted, not smooth, pushers.

Hope that helped, now back to the football!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE