The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Difficult to Establish with Certainty That It's a Fake

As we have discussed on this forum many times, it is difficult to establish with absolute certainty that any given watch is a fake or has been assembled from parts. The one exception might be when someone tells you that they assembled a specific watch, from various parts.

I have been chasing the Heuers for approximately a dozen years, and can report that I have never seen an authentic "Bullhead" Heuer. I have also confirmed with the man who I consider to be the best expert in the US that Heuer never made a Bullhead.

In terms of finding a legitimate Breitling, with a movement marked Heuer, I would say that this is like opening the hood of a Mustang, and seeing the engine from a Pontiac. There's simply no way that Ford was using these engines!!

Your seller can keep listing the reasons that this one is authentic . . . none will possibly convince me!! And by the way, the put together Breitling Bullheads have been floating around the German watch fairs for as long as I can remember!!

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++

: The Seller's claim:
: "Michael,

: First, when I purchased the watch approximately ten years ago, it
: came in both date variations. There were a number of watches on
: the market from various sellers both ways.

: Second, as you can read on this site, there was a partnership
: between Tag and Breitling. The date of the Caliber 12 that was
: used matches the date that this watch was manufactured.

: http://onthedash.com/docs/ChronomaticMovements.html

: Third, there would have been no reason to replicate this watch. It
: was never a much in demand piece.

: Fourth, if it was replicated, it would have been replicated in some
: kind of mass. I searched Google and there are no other
: incidences reported of fake Pupitre's.

: I think whom ever you were trying to sell this watch to either got
: cold feet or didn't properly do the research that I was able to
: do in 45 minutes.

: Based on the above, there is insufficient evidence that this watch
: is a fake. As a matter of fact, I am confident that this watch
: is authentic. I have sold a number of watches on the forum and
: have never had an issue.

: Good luck.

: Bob"

: -- Oh, the irony.....

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE