The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
My concern is...

: personally, I'm fine with this sort of message.
: Others may have different sensitivities.

My concern is that if we are going to say "But direct 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed", in the masthead and further spell out:

"For Sale, Want to Buy, etc. Type Posts

The discussion forums here are for exchange of helpful information--not for your use in selling things you have or for promoting specific sellers of things. No 'for sale,' 'want to buy,' advertisements or direct links to dealer sites are allowed in discussion forum messages."

in the policies page we should enforce it and enforce it evenly, or it'll cause the moderators problems in the future.

: We are only trying to be on the look-out, so
: that the Discussion Forum doesn't get
: overrun with buy-sell-trade messages or
: become overly commercial. So far, so good,
: over the first year of this Forum.

This is the potential problem if we aren't careful...

: If we can help people find parts that they need
: for their watches, that is a great benefit
: of having this sort of
: "community".

How about permitting a RFS? Request For Sources? In other words, if someone is looking for sources for something (be it information, or materials, it's permissable for them to post a Request For Sources as long as they provide an email address and responses are done via email?

I think that's a reasonable compromise.

-- Chuck

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE