The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
The Word from Hans / Blue-Berry Waffles are Bad
In Response To: Monaco :"waffle"Reply ()

I will try to post additional details later, but Hans has descended from the mountain for a few minutes, with the following points for the Chronocentric / OTD crowd:

• Heuer never made the 73633 (three-register Monaco) with blue dial / blue registers. so the one that I posted yesterday, as "Blue-Berry Waffles" is refinished / fake.

• Hans continues to believe that Heuer never used the square waffle markers; he states that every photo that he has inspected with waffle markers [ and I have shown him a bunch of them ] is a refinished dial, no "ifs, ands or buts".

• Hans says that genuine, original cases will be marked for "Tool No. 033"; he points out that these markings are very light / shallow, so when a case is refinished, the marking is likely to be removed.

• On a different subject, regarding a question posed by Bruce Mackie, Hans says that there are many Cal 12 movements with the silver (nickel) plates rather than gold plates. Most of the Cal 12s have the gold-colored plates, but Heuer had a stock of the nickel pieces that they needed to use up, so there are many authentic Cal 12s in which these nickel (silver) pieces were used.

All the above, based on Hans' best information after 41 years with Heuer.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Hi all,

: Its evening here and I'm enjoying a spicy
: Margaret River Cabernet Sauvignon from our
: Western Australian winery, Moondah Brook.
: Very tasty. To top it off "Gone in 60
: Seconds" is on TV. Nick Cage is about
: to poach that awesome GT500....

: Anyway, my post on the Monacos that is missing
: went along the lines of: A few suggestions
: for these dials: 1. Fake. Outright, although
: I think this is un likely: why have we not
: seen any Cal11/12 or Cal 15 fake dials too?

: 2. Heuer spare part, manufactured post
: cessation of Monaco production?

: 3. Late series orignal dials: is it a
: coincidence that on some examples we've seen
: lately, the cases have been refinshed &
: "tool no 033" is absent?

: {....Nick just got that Shelby very sideways -
: yeah....}

: 4. Can we get the info/pics in front of a Heuer
: old timer like Hans, and see what his view
: is?

: Important qualification: I dont own a 3 reg
: Monaco currently (sold a wonderful one-owner
: one last year, & regretted it ever
: since), although I'm after a nice blue/white
: reg one!

: Cheers to all

: Stewart.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE