The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Follow-up on my Autavia 3646 Tachy *PIC*

Hi fellows,

I have to admit that my quick-n-dirty wrist shots were not able to keep the discussion started by DC some days ago alive.

Following are better, documentary images.

I bought the watch because its face is more lively than the usual cal. 92 Autavias, but yet looks consistent and very appealing, especially the applied markers and digits (see below).

The main hands have the visually correct size, and are shorter than those of the other 3646 Autavias. Could anyone confirm or decline the story of the apparently correct but too long hands seen on the other "interesting Autavia"?

Certainly the chrono second hand was replaced. I'm searching for a white hand as seen on the usual cal. 92 Autavias, but shorter exactly touching or just passing over the minute/seconds chapter.

I'm not sure about the bezel. The original bezel could be substituted easily, e.g. by a Rolex part. I did never see this kind of bezel on a Heuer. Speaking of typography, the fancy "3" does not look correct (other bezels show a round "3"), the other digits, namely the "4", look ok. Did anyone see this kind of bezel (see the side views below) on a Heuer or another type of watch?

The 13 to 24 hours display may be useful, but how is the rotating (without click) bezel used? Pseudo GMT?

The crown seems to be too thick.

This slightly tilted view shows the gorgeous applied markers and digits.

No surprises on the back.

The side views reveal more characteristics of the rotating bezel.

I really like this elegantly curved lines of the middle part and the trapezoidal profile of the case of these first Autavias.

The serial number is in the 84XXX area. The movement is a cal. 92 correctly signed "Heuer-Leonidas".

I would appreciate to receive and to discuss any further informations and hints on this particular watch.

BTW, no apparent connection to down under.

Cheers,

Mick

And finally, another wristshot to qualify for the "*PIC*" label :-)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE