The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Lots of PW Movements available.

As the gold cases for pocket watches get melted there is building up a surplus of good working watch movements. To be made into a wrist watch the original watch needs to be a hunter configuration (winds at the 3:00 o'clock instead of 12:00) and needs to have a detent stem (a stem which has a positive link to the setting mechanism).

I have seen these new wrist watches made from beautiful Patek and Vacheron movements as well as from some of the higher grade American movements such as the Hamilton 923 and 921. I buy as many of these movements form the gold melters as I can. There seems to be a ready market for them. The sad thing is that many of the melters simply smash watches with hammers to remove the movements. I try to get to whole watches before they get smashed as much as possible.

JohnCote

Messages In This Thread

How dose this 93 YO man make a pocketwatch into a wristwatch *PIC*
Lots of PW Movements available.
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE