The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
No, it's not just you, Jeff...
In Response To: Is It Just Me? ()

Is It Just Me? Posted By: Jeff Stein Date: 6/1/04 18:56 GMT

Am I just imagining it, or are there very few interesting Heuer chronographs being offered these last few weeks, particularly on ebay?

You're not imagining it...
  • do others agree with this observation?

I can't speak for others, but I agree, and I'll go a little bit further... It's not just Heuer's but Chronographs in general...

• what's the reason for the market going a bit dry?

Probably us... More specifically... Over grazing by collectors mainly, an increased awareness of the desirability of these watches, the advent of a far more comprehensive way to learn about them, etc...

• is it same with other brands?

It certainly seems so.

• supply seems low, and prices seem firm -- correct observations?

Pretty much, I've seen some prices continue the steady climb of the past few years. Five years ago $400 Autavia Micro-Rotors and $400 Speedmaster Mark II's were reasonably common, now they are both moe pricy.

• is this "seasonal" (sellers on vacation) or some sort of life-cycle (sellers found ebay, sold their stuff, and have moved on)?

Traditionally, there is a summer lull while people vacation and holiday, and are in general are outside more. However, I notice that some of the regulars with whom I were competing with for pieces have seemed to have quieted or even all but disappeared. Even some folks who were regulars here. I'm sure that sellers are having tougher tasks locating new stock all of the time. After all, any vintage watch was made in finite (although sometimes large) numbers. At some point even the most popular models with the highest production run will eventually be tapped.

just wondering what others are seeing?

I'm seeing much the same thing as you are. Of course I cast my net in a somewhat different direction than I suspect you do. But I've noticed a marked decrease in the quantity and quality of desirable (at least to me) watches out there.

It's a bit disappointing, there are still some model's that I seek. But on the other hand, it does allow me to conserve funds and build them up for future bidding or for higher-end models. That kinda "looking on the bright side" might seem a bit Pollyana-ish... But I think that's where the smart money is at the moment.

Jeff

Chuck

Chuck Maddox

(Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Chronographs, like many things in life, only improve with age…

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE