The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Gilt diver gets a new lease of life..

I posted this over on TZ-UK.. and thought I'd share it with you guys & gals, as we don't see many of these in fine condition..

I recently listed a NOS all gold ani-digi Heuer case in the trader section.. but with no interest I decided to sacrifice it and relieved it of it's NOS bezel... that was a tricky bit of surgery, having to get a knife between the bezel and case, then leveraging - all without marking the gold plate. I managed it, God knows how!!

I've fitted it to a lovely condition 980.021 from 1983, an oversized 44mm cased two-tone diver that had a very tired bezel. (they shared the same bezel when new). I've had both watches for a long time, and last year James sorted the glass & a new crown on the 021. Since then it has been sat at the back of a drawer, looking a bit sad with it's knackered bezel.

I know the crown should also be gold plated, I do have a NOS one that I can get fitted no probs, but I like it the way it is for now. There is something very satidfying like breathing new life into a watch (even though I had to sacrifice the digi diver), and this one, fitted with an aftermarket oyster bracelet look the business now, also, the Swiss Tropic strap looks great too.. I'm well chuffed.
It has a lovely gilt dial - gold hands & dial markings, the matt dial is a very deep brown colour.. It also has wonderful lightly aged lume, which suits the gilt really well. It's beautiful, and I feel a wee bit ashamed it has been sat in the dark for over a year.

They are very difficult to find in decent condition, as the gold gets worn away and usually looks awful, so this is a rare treat to get it looking almost like new.

Before restoration...

The donor bezel was taken from this:

After restoration and with NOS gold plate bezel fitted...

Cheers
Stewart

Messages In This Thread

Gilt diver gets a new lease of life..
Re: Gilt diver gets a new lease of life..
Re: Gilt diver gets a new lease of life..
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE