The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Question on authenticy

Hi Jef, Chuck and other experts,

I have a question on the authenticy of a manual Monaco with three subdials.

I have recently bought it on E-bay and just received it.When I studied it I got the strong impression that it may not be original.

When I contacted the seller, he told me that he is very worried about this and will take the watch back if it really is non-authentic. He is more worried about this reputation than maybe having to take it back.
Despite this problem we both have the feeling that we can solve this as gentlemen.

What we need however is a judgment. The beswt way of course would be to go to a TAG Heuer dealer and have it looked at. However, in Holland Tag Heuer delaers no longer service Heuers. This is all done in Switzerland.

OK, this is what I noticed:

- it's a three dial Monaco, manual wind.
- the hands all look authentic to me ( I have two original Monacos-cal 11 and 15- and can compare this).
- there's no model number and part number between the lugs
- case looks authentic
- the dial has no applied steel hour markers, instead the markers are printed to the dial in white colour.
- the back side doies not carry the text "Tool 33".

This is what I noticed.

Would appreciate your objective opinion on this. You will help us both.

Thanks
Ron

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE