The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Why Are People Hesitant to Discuss Upcoming Auctions?

I'll speak for myself - I personally cringed (and probably cursed under my breath ) when i saw your post and the 700+ views that it garnered.

Sole reason is that I hope to participate in an auction that relatively few people know about and garner a good deal.

My assumption is that for active participants on this forum - we know of all the upcoming auctions, and when a post announcing all the upcoming auctions is put out - my guess is that my competition for any piece that i as a collector may have wanted to own has now quadrupled - now i am bidding against dealers, middlemen, and other people that probably would not have known otherwise.

If I was a person with a huge collection - economically i would be motivated to makes sure every auction had maximum exposure and liquidity - this drices prices up, as for myself (someone who is building their collection) - it is exactly the opposite.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE