The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Why Are People Hesitant to Discuss Upcoming Auctions?

Jeff

I think mainly for me it’s that I don’t consider myself in the running. For starters my watch kitty is low right now, so I’m not thinking about it very much. The other reason is that I get the feeling that these are going to attract speculators and those who bid because of the auction so that they can say “I bought a piece from X auction”. I can’t pinpoint why and maybe I’m wrong, but that is the impression that I get with the upcoming auctions. And I don’t really care to bid against some guy that is bored with Rolex, AP or whatever other brand and he read that vintage Heuers offer a good value and should be snapped up as an investment. Not that I think Heuer is unknown or anything like that, I’m just happy to sort of be in the shadows compared to other better known brands.

Beyond that I would say that it is a combination of what you mention. I’m probably just being paranoid but I don’t want the world to know that I’m ready to pay top dollar or outbid anyone for something. Not that I am bidding on anything, but you never know;)

Your right that it does become a little old bashing watches with the wrong hands or the wrong case finish etc. I think that most of the educated Heuer buyers would be able spot most of these problems. And if they buy one will either have a plan to correct it or be able to live whatever the deficiency is.

Lastly, I don’t think that it is inappropriate or uninteresting to discuss the auctions; I just think there is more to say after the auction is complete. Like what they sold for, in what condition, and so on.

Eddie

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE