The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Monaco with printed markers is 100% original!

Hi all,

Thanks for your input on the authenticity of my Monaco 73363 with glossy blue dial ( for a photo see the discussion on Authenticity 3 register Monaco from June 9 and 10th).
I have had quite some contradicting input however.Nobody however could tell me whether it was authentic or not. Most thought that the dial is a replica.

I have contacted TAG Heuer Switserland today by telephone and e-mail with my question and they asked for the photo. I sent it to them, emphasizing that the dial has printed markers and no applied steel batons.

This is the answer that I received back:

Dear Ron,

I have just discussed with our senior watchmaker who confirmed that the
dial fitted on your Monaco calibre 7736 (not 15 as mentioned in your
e-mail) is original. We have effectively produced (mid 70) this model with
a dial on which the markers are printed.

We would like to take this opportunity to inform you that due to the age of
this timepiece, some parts such as dial, hands are definitely out of stock.

We hope to meet your requirement and remain,
Best regards.

Severine.

Apart from the fact that I am extremely happy having bought this Monaco ( the colour of the dial and the registers are just stunning and are different at every angle) I guess this changes the discussion on three register Monacos.
There have effectively been made three register manual Monacos ( Valjoux 7736) with dials without steel batons but with printed markers.
Unfortunately Tag heuer is not able to tell me how many have been made. They have been made in blue, grey and black.

I will be pleased to make more photos of the watch if of interest, maybe also to add to the picture gallery on the website.

Regards
Ron

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE