The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Yes.. it's strange that 844 wasn't used
In Response To: Not an 844 ? ()

Darren,
Yes, it's another Heuer oddity I'm afraid. It was almost as if Heuer hadn't sorted out the correct format for the divers.
IIRC, there are very early quartz versions of the Monnin, which have 844 type model numbers. (Maybe '8444' or something like that).

The quartz orange diver is 980.007, the auto 980.005. The orange diver was conceived early on - seen alongside the Monnin with cathedral hands in the '79 catalogue.

Stewart

: Outsanding watch & photo's.
: I read & enjoyed your review of the watch on your blog site
: Stewart and was a little surprised to see this designated as a
: 980.005.
: I had assumed that the auto version of this watch ( be it black or
: orange model ) would have been an 844 series watch. Further to
: that i thought the 980. prefix always indicated the watch was
: battery powered.
: Clearly i assumed incorrectly but where exactly do the model
: numbers cross over from 844 designation ?
: I have seen the 844 used all the way up to black dialed 844/5 under
: the ownership of Tag Heuer.

: Cheers - Darren

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE