The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Jeff, does this pic bother you as well?

Just trying to determine the origin of your frustration. Is it the suggestion in your pic that the re-screened clock face implies Heuer movement behind the scenes, or is it that someone is using a famous logo with too much enthusiasm that borderlines on trademark infringement?

As an aside, the actual movement behind that clock originally was Kienzle (mechanical), but there is the distinct possibility that it is now quartz due to ravages of time on mechanical units (different topic entirely, movement change).

Not my car, btw.

Photobucket

: Here's a guy selling "Chronograph Heuer" clock faces
: for 70 Euro --

:
: http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/showthread.php?61548-quot-Heuer-quot-clock-facia/page1

: I'm not trying to be righteous, or play the cop, but doesn't this
: seem to be just plain wrong? Not many serious collectors would
: buy the $40 fake Chinese watch -- either on principle or because
: they look so bad -- but are people really putting these
: "knock off" 70 Euro gauges into the dashes of their
: beautiful old Porsches?

: Am I being too dogmatic about this (i.e., are there some fakes that
: are just plain wrong and other "homage" items that are
: OK)? Would you like to have one of these in your classic
: Porsche? Personally, I'm fine with aftermarket components, but
: it really bothers me when people misappropriate someone else's
: tradename or logo (and it would make me sick to be looking at
: this on the dash of my old Porsche).

: Jeff

:
:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE