The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Love the Decal on the Porsche!!

Love the decal on the Porsche!! It shows enthusiasm for the brand, and there is no confusion that Heuer is sponsoring this car or has produced this car.

On the other hand, the "Chrongraph Heuer" on the clocks installed in the Porsches:

• creates confusion about who made the clock (since Heuer used to make dash and panel-mounted clocks and timers) . . . check some of the Porsche discussion forums, and you see this confusion with people asking whether it is available through TAG Heuer . . . e-mail messages that I have received over the past couple of years also evidence this confusion
  • constitutes a misuse / theft of the Heuer name and logo
  • is just plain dumb looking, to my eye (a) in the use of the word "chronograph" for a clock and (b) in having registers that do not even work / cannot be operated (in the case of the Singer installation).
Maybe it's just me, but it seems so strange to find these clocks mounted in the dash of a $200K / $300K Porsche. Maybe like seeing some cheap, aftermarket brakes painted bright red, and marked "Brembo" or putting the "Cosworth" name on low-quality replacement engine purchased at Walmart.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++

: Just trying to determine the origin of your frustration. Is it the
: suggestion in your pic that the re-screened clock face implies
: Heuer movement behind the scenes, or is it that someone is using
: a famous logo with too much enthusiasm that borderlines on
: trademark infringement?

: As an aside, the actual movement behind that clock originally was
: Kienzle (mechanical), but there is the distinct possibility that
: it is now quartz due to ravages of time on mechanical units
: (different topic entirely, movement change).

: Not my car, btw.

:

: :

: :

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE