The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Most expensive Viceroy Autavia / Seems Authentic to Me!!

A few days ago, we had a discussion that started with the message, "The most expensive Viceroy Autavia in the world". We discussed a Viceory style Autavia, listed on eBay, with a BuyItNow price of $12,995, subject to offers, of course.

Having now spoken with the seller, I wanted to post this message regarding my assessment of the watch.

Bottom line: I believe that the watch is authentic. I believe that this Autavia was produced in late 1971 / early 1972, and engraved at that time to mark the two USAC (United States Automobile Club) championships won by the Vel's Parnelli Jones Racing Team, in 1970 and 1971. [I'm not quite sure whether the watches were commissioned by the VPJ team, by USAC, or by someone else, but does not seem like a critical point.]

Here's why I think the watch is authentic:

• Seller sounds honest; we chatted for a while, and everything that he said about the watch, and his connection to the watch, sounded right.
  • Seller has strong Indy 500 connections; his father actually won the Indy 500 in the early 1960s, and he grew up with close ties to the Indy racing community. It was through a connection in this community that he received the watch, in the early 1970s, as a gift.
  • Seller provided me with the serial number, and it was exactly what it should have been, for late 1971 or early 1972. Seems doubtful that Seller had access to the information that he would have needed to have "made up" this serial number; I believe that he gave me the number that is on the watch, and that number is perfect for the watch.
  • Sure the engraving looks messy, but these were racing guys, not the Tiffanys or Cartier crowd. I have seen other watches from this period that are done in the same sort of style.
I will leave it to others to suggest what this watch is worth. Yes, the $12,995 seems high, but over the years we have seen lots of people using eBay for the "free advertising", and then selling for a more reasonable price. The fact that we have seen this listing, and are discussing it here, demonstrates that Seller was using a good strategy with the eBay listing (and the shocking price).

Jeff

Messages In This Thread

Most expensive Viceroy Autavia / Seems Authentic to Me!!
Re: Most expensive Viceroy Autavia / Seems Authentic to Me!!
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE