The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: "Trusted" Seller offering a Mappamondo

Dan,
It could just be a simple case of the seller not knowing. We, as Heuer collectors can tune in to the very slightest detail - service hands, the serifs on dial script, the height of a crystal. We have become so used to look for the tiny detail, we forget that the majority of professionals don't know this stuff. Even us Heueristas can miss half a dozen things - and they are only apparent when someone points them out.

It's not uncommon for a respected dealer to advertise a Monaco that has a refinished dial, and they have no idea. The Mappamondo is a strange one - for years we have seen dealers selling them, believing them to be original.. they simply don't know it's not real.

To be honest, I'm less worried about dealer that make these big mistakes.. it's the sellers that try to pass off irregular Heuers as original.

Stewart

: I like Chrono 24--great variety of sellers and interesting
: offerings from around the world. I think it is admirable that
: they are attempting to brand certain sellers as
: "trusted," but I have noticed that at least one seller
: offering a "Mappamondo" has earned the label. I have
: to think that the editors of Chrono 2 are at least aware of OTD,
: and I would suspect that they may even be regulars, given the
: number of Heuers offered on their site. Perhaps its time for
: them to perform a bit more due diligence before conveying their
: trust.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE