The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Dear Jim: Thanks for Writing / Now Get a Life

Dear Jim:

Interesting that you should write at this time. Just a couple of days ago, I received a letter from your daughter, asking for some advice relating to her father.

She says that she mentioned that she wanted to buy a watch, and you spent three hours telling her about your Heuers, including a lecture about the physics of PVD coating and the beauty of something called the 5100. She mentioned that she needed a camera, and you started telling her about histograms, post-production, and work-flow, and even offered to share your 20 gig hard drive and "tent".

I told her to buy a $6 watch at Wal Mart and a $10 disposable camera, and that if this might cause you to write to me, then I would give you some valuable advice. The advice is simple and SCARY: GET A LIFE JIM!! Your daughter is fine, but both of us are worried about you!!

Thanks for writing,

Abby

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Dear Abby,
: I am so embarrassed to post this, but it was
: too funny not to. My daughter is the manager
: and teaches sailing at a local sailing
: school for her summer job and she needed a
: new watch.

: I consulted with her and gave her several
: suggestions about getting a good watch for
: her purposes.
: BUT NO!! She has to go out on her own and get
: something NOW!.

: My idea was a wait for a great used Heuer
: Ladies Quartz 1000 Diver on Ebay. Perfect
: for her. BUT NO! She needs it NOW!

: So, off to Walmart(also known as Wally World)
: she goes, and look what she comes home with!
: Not even a Seiko or Casio no less.

: So Dear Abby, what is a father to do now?

: Sincerely
: Watch Challenged

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE