The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Any Relevance to Stanley Kubrick Wearing a Monaco?

Jeff
Yes, you're very much right. No accidents ever on Breaking Bad. The watch was clearly not random, and you know that some other show would have grabbed a Rolex Datejust and called it a day.

I love the Kubrick photo, but I don't think that's the connection. Heck, I'm kind of a watch geek and a cinesaste, and I had never seen that photo.

The watch is bought for Walt by his 22 year old partner in meth making, who's anything but a watch geek.

I think it's more about the physical look of the watch.
It's large and colorful so it's very obvious on his wrist, and looks cool sitting on a side table.
He's also replacing one square watch--a very cheap one with a very expensive, very cool one.

Also in that episode, Walt replaces his Pontiac Aztek--arguably the least cool car in history, with a tricked out Chrysler 300, as a "birthday present to himself."
(This was a paid product placement for the show, so that's why it's a Chrysler and not an AMG Mercedes or something.)
His son has his teal green PT Cruiser replaced with a red Dodge Challenger R/T.

The episode is about Walt feeling his oats and surrounding himself with some of the trappings of a drug dealer, and the watch is kind of a parallel to the new car.

: So do we attribute any meaning to the fact that Stanley Kubrick
: wore a Monaco in the set of A Clockwork Orange?

:
: http://chronocentric.com/forums/heuer/index.cgi?page=1;md=read;id=46798

: I have not seen the show, but am told that there are no
: coincidences in Breaking Bad . . . every detail is there for a
: reason.

: Jeff

:
:

: ++++++++++++++++++++++

:

: :

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE