The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
The thing is...

..., although an accomplished amateur racer in his own right, McQueen in the movie Le Mans was an actor playing a racer. And you can can get items owned by real racers for significantly less. They lack the allure of Hollywood perhaps, or maybe the motorsport collectors are cannier with their money. Or plain old less rich. Or both.

Don't get me wrong, I like McQueen as an actor (though I probably prefer The Great Escape to Le Mans), but the recent attention to Le Mans (the movie) memorabilia is interesting.

The cult of celebrity has reached epidemic levels here in the UK, though few of them have anything approaching the genuine stardom of Steve McQueen. In fact, most TV programmes with "Celebrity" tacked on have me scratching my head and wondering just who the hell that is. But this GT40 had significant race history before being chopped about for the film - and it was the film that was the focus of many people's attention and probably what drove the price so high. Bit of a shame for me that its real race history is almost overlooked in the process...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE