The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I Still Don't Get It . . .

: Too many people, Jeff, told me that my old 1st generation Siffert was a "put together" with reprinted numbers. Do you remember? In this forum too.

I do not remember this . . . but I look at a lot of watches, so perhaps I have forgottoen this one.

: Everyone told me that was a franken watch with a Schmitz case and a piquerez caseback. So with my resarch, and with Andyo help, I find a lot of these case, different from a Schmitz in some parts (like "click" position of the bezel at 7 o'clock). None give me answer on that message on this forum...

I remember that you didn't buy a Chronomatic Siffert on ebay for this case!

I don't know what you are referring to here. There is only one Chronomatic Siffert that I can recall seeing on eBay that had authenticity issues. In that instance, the Chronomatic dial had been placed in a much later case, and the seller acknowledged this. So the sale was for a genuine Chronomatic dial being displayed in a much later case. This is the only Chronomatic listed on eBay that comes to mind. Please tell me if you are referring to something else.

: Now it seems that everyone knows them.
: Sorry, but I can't understand...
: Or my watch was good since I bought it or someone changes idea and prefear to not talk about ;-)

: For the nikname of the watches, the reason is the interest for the Heuer collecting, as for Rolex underline, gilt, paul newman, patrizzi, quinta staccata, sei girato, steve mcqueen, 007...

I an OK with the use of nicknames, when they are helpful to clarify which model / execution we are discussing. In this case, I ask what the "Bullitt case" nickname means, and I still do not have a precise answer. Cut front and back? What style case-back? What serial number ranges / batch? Used for which models -- 1163T or 1163MH or both? Maybe my head is just cloudy today, but I am not seeing the "discovery". Of course, I have great respect for all the collectors, research, history, etc.

We often see nicknames invented for purposes of marketing, with no precision or historical explanation, and then we are stuck with the names for a long time. Derek Bell?

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE