The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Some Answers
In Response To: really interesting ()

: Did you find this now or keep it in reserve
: until we felt we had learned nearly
: everything..?

A reader submitted this photo several months; it sometimes takes a while for me to catch up with the postings.

: Related Question: are Autavias, like this one,
: with the "RR grille" markers
: (imagine the old rolls royce radiator
: grille, I thought an automative analogy
: would be good) always indicative of an
: earlier Autavia than the more usual
: "thin rectangle markers" (with
: long thin luminous insert) ?

I think of them as "ridges", and you are correct that the ridged markers pre-dated the smooth ones, with the inserts.

: I thought maybe the ealier markers would
: correspond with a Cal.11 movement but I
: checked a "Siffert" 1163T I have
: with the "RR grille" markers (but
: no Chronomatic) and it has a Cal.12 in it
: now.

: Any views?

I would be surprised if this correlation (Cal 11 and ridged markers / Cal 12 and smooth markers) actually held up. Also, Heuer seems to have used up what was in the parts bin, so most of these transitions happened over time.

: PS: before the flames - yeah I know rolls royce
: is not a marque that fits in a Heuer forum
: but thats the first analogy that came to
: mind.

I'll stick with the "ridges" reference . . . less controversial . . . easier to type!!

Thanks for the message.

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE