The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Safety/Security - Safety/Security - Be prepared !!!

Every now and again i write on the forum the importance of security regarding our precious watches.
If you have not made the following steps towards your watches you should seriously consider them !!!!

-1- Photograph each watch individually & record any serial numbers or identifying marks

-2- Find a way to keep copies of the above information (photo's / descriptions) online. You dont want the only copy of the important information on a laptop that was also stolen in a home burglary.

-3- For those of you with collections - dont keep all your watches at home. Keep the bulk of your collection in a private security compay box OR bank vault. Learn to keep no more than a couple of watches at home at any given time and rotate the 2-3 watches at the security box each week or two if you need variety on your wrist.

-4- Have a small safe / lock box or well hidden location (i dont mean the back of the sock drawer) to keep your few pieces at home locked away while you're not using them.

-5- Contact your home insurance company and find out what your watches are covered for in the event of a break-in or fire. Ask how much it would cost to insure them to replacement value.

-6- Dont have any watches at home when you go away for extended periods. Holidays & extended weekends are times to be more wary, park your valuables in the security center's safety box.

-7- When travelling with a watch or two email yourself the photo's & descriptions of the watches so that if they go missing whilst you are travelling you have their info at your fingertips.

I really hope that my advice helps some of you think about your own watch collection's security.
Hopefully you are already using these proceedures.

- Darren

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE