The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I Have Questioned 150 Prod. No. for the 1158s
In Response To: Mysterious 1158 ()

Members of our community have made the arguments to support the idea that there were only 150 of the Reference 1158 Carreras produced by Heuer [and if Mark Moss says it, then I do believe it], but this number (150) has always seemed too low to me. I should review our previous discussions, and play with the numbers, but on a "gut level", it just seems as though we are seeing "too many" of the 1158s to be consistent with this 150 production number.

Maybe they have had a higher "survival rate" than the less expensive models; maybe they were stored and cared for, and passed down to the next generation. Still, I would swear that we have seen 40 or 50 of them, which would represent a high "survival rate" and a high presence in the online world. I wonder what percentage of the Monacos or Viceroy Autavias have crossed our screens, over the last decade? And what survival rate this might represent?

. . . for further discussion, I'm sure!!

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Spotted this mysterious 1158 with a Orly signed dial on the French
: forum Montresmecaniques today

:
: Credit : Pibou

:
: Credit : Pibou

: Did anyone ever crossed this or the same variation with another
: dial signature ?

: I've read some collectors discovered some 1158 cases batches which
: would lead to think more than 150 1158 would have been made as
: opposed to the production figures stated by Jack Heuer.

: Would this curiosity be a first clue ?

: [Moderator moved this message into previous thread]

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE