The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Hope Springs Eternal . . .
In Response To: Hope Springs Eternal . . . ()

Every seller has his or her own motivation. Maybe this person has a watch and decided he/she would sell it but only if the could get a certain really high amount....otherwise they would keep it.

There are also a lot of different ways to use eBay. We all know that some folk...lots of big watch dealers for example...simply use eBay as sort of a billboard advertizement for their inventory and rarely actually sell goods through eBay.

eBay is a market place with a huge set of rules. Very few people really understand all of the rules. I have a very good friend with whom I do a substantial watch trade who has well over 15,000 eBay feedbacks. He employs 3 full time people to photograph, research and list items for him. He has 122 listings right now. All of his auctions start at $0.99 and have no reserve. He has 99.9% positive feedback. eBay sent him a notice last year that he needed to limit his listing volume because they were having more trouble in the antiques and jewelry sections than anyplace else with disputes between buyers and sellers. My friend has hired lawyers. My friend feels that the eBay rules are slanted towards favoring the buyer in most disputes. He feels that eBay is reluctant to go after individual bad sellers so they go after all big sellers. I don't know who is right but I do know that my friend does a lot of work to figure out the eBay system and make it work for him.

My friend is smart and has been very successful in all of his businesses. He is very honest but very tough. I find him very easy to deal with. Not all eBay sellers are as smart. Not all have figured out how to use the system. Maybe this seller falls into the category I mention in the first sentence or maybe he/she is just a moron. Who knows. He/she paid the fees and the watch did not sell...as far as we know....and we move on.

JohnCote

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE