The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Report on Heuer Forum experience

Around year end, there was a discussion about the Fourm direction and the quality of the participants. I was tempted to jump in with comments, but since my last transaction was still playing itself out, I refrained. Now that the last piece is safely in the purchaser's hands, I will offer my experience.

A few months back I posted some questions on the board, asking for advice about fair value for 2 Carreras and a box, that I had purchased new back in the 60s-70s. At that point I did not have any pictures taken or posted to show, but a number of nice folks responded both on & off the board, offering suggestions and offering other help to a newbie poster.

In short, when I had finally gotten pictures & descriptions together, I decided to offer the first Carrera (a 3147N) to someone who had offered help and expressed interest off board. We arrived at what I feel was a "fair" price, and the watch went to a new home – with someone who plans to use it and preserve it for additional years.

I then posted the red cigar box on ChronoTrader, and was amazed at the strong response at my asking price. I offered it to the first of the respondents who plans to keep it with a matching vintage Autavia.

Finally, I offered the 2nd Carrera (a 2447N) to another fellow who had earlier expressed interest. This person was interested in the watch to mark a special occasion in his life, and plans to retain it within his family for the future. It turned out that this watch did travel to a home in another country, and had to travel a rather circuitous route to reach the new owner. I can now report that the watch is safely in its new home, and the new owner is happy.

So to recap my experience, all 3 transactions were as a result of my posting on OTD -- while only one item was actually posted on CT for sale. I am very pleased with the amount these items brought, and I believe that the buyers are very pleased with the items received. All 3 of the buyers are true collectors who intend to give the items a long term home, which I'm very happy about.

So for my admittedly "small sample" of buyers on the Forum, I'm 3 for 3, or 100% super nice people. I enjoyed getting to know a little about each one, and would be honored to call these folks my friends.

My thanks to Jeff, and all the others who provide and support this great resource for the Heuer collectors and us sellers. And a special thanks to the 3 great guys who are now preserving my previously owned Heuer pieces. I do appreciate it!!

I will be back with some additional pieces when I am able to gather and sort some more.

Dick

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE