The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Not much to tell, saw it on eBay... *LINK*
In Response To: Tell Us About the Mistral ()

: Chuck: thanks for the excellent response. that
: pretty well covers the subject.

Well, I mean I could post a lot of pictures of Orfina, IWC and Eterna Porsche Design Chronographs, but just about anyone can Google it and find them as easily as I can.

: But tell us about the Mistral, if you will??
: Great looking design . . . rotating GMT
: bezel is nice looking / useful . . .
: deletion of tachy marks and 24-hour hand
: cleans up the design.

My problem is that unless I really taylor what I'm wearing to what I am doing that particular day, I'm occasionally missing something that I need. If I wear a Tachy, I need a World Time, if I need a World Time, I need a Whiz Wheel...

I really wish I knew more about this pup... I saw it on eBay about a year, year and a half ago... It was underappreciated by the other bidders and I walked away with it for about $178... Unfortunately the chrono didn't reset cleanly and I had to send it up to Shane Ede for some TLC but it's run fine ever since.

: I know what a "mistral" is ["A
: violent and cold northwest wind experienced
: in the Mediterranean provinces of France,
: etc."], but what about the Mistral
: chronograph?? who made?? what quality /
: values?? etc.??

Sadly, I have nary a clue to the origin of this particular piece. I own two 5012's, this one and a Nivada (which is a Poor Man's Heuer 510.403)...

Yeah, boy... Don't tell me these watches don't vie for wrist time, all you have to do is mention them and a picture pops right up!

Anyway, aside from the watch itself, which I could take measurements, I really don't have much additional information... Sorry...

-- Chuck

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE