The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I'd love to tell you but it's all brushed...
In Response To: Caseback *PIC* ()

: Thank you for the insight. Mind sharing with us
: what is written on the caseback of the
: Mistral?

It's not so much that I mind... I'd love to tell you, but it's all brushed... The flat section is brushed linear-ly, whilst the angled section of the case back (where the slots are for the caseback wrench are) is radially (sunburst) brushed. There are no discernable markings or writing of any sort on the outside caseback of the Mistral.

: Attached is the caseback and
: movement of the above Porsche Design. It a
: Lemania 5012 but with a 24hour dial.
: Something is definitely wrong here right?

It's only more confirmation that this watch is very much a Frankenwatch. The 5012 does not have a 24-Hour Sub-register whilst the 5100 does. Porsche Design did not use the 5012 movement nor this case but did use the 5100 dial and hands.

What I suspect is someone really trashed the original case that that Porsche Design (nearly 100% chance it was originally an Orfina manufacture) and the movement was probably compromized in some way (perhaps water?) as well. Which necessitated a hybrid in order to salvage something of utility out of the donor watches. It would seem that a 5012 donated some of it's parts (including the plate with the serial number) and the 5100 had it's 24-hour subdial mechanism salvaged. The Dial was scavenged from the original PD Orfina while the case was salvaged from a watch similar (if not identical) to my Mistral Timing.

Of course, this is all speculation, and like all theories, is only as good as the evidence we have and can be either confirmed or discredited by the next piece of evidence found, but it's a working theory and would explain it's origin.

-- Chuck

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE