The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Quick Report on Latest "Chronomatic" to Surface

I met Mike yesterday evening, and know that his Chronomatic "Siffert" is of great interest to our readers, so here is a brief report on what I saw:

• it is a one-owner watch, having just arrived from the gentleman who bought the watch around 1969/70
  • original owner recalls having the watch serviced once, around 10 years ago
  • case, dial and hands appear to be all-original
  • 12 lume dots are in place on the dial, and seem to be original
  • crown has been replaced
  • case has been lightly polished
  • we did not open the case, but quick date change (starting at 11:45 PM) suggests Cal 11 movement
  • the bezel and insert are less jarring "in the metal" than in the photos; insert took a beating when it hit the pavement in motorcycle accident, but the bezel itself seems OK . . . operates / clicks properly, and viewed from the side, you hardly see any damage at all.
  • serial number is as it should be, and is one digit away from another one in our database. There seem to be two runs of the Chronomatic Autavias -- one starting at around 141 185 and the second starting around 141 340 . . . this one would be from that second run.
We will all offer advice and watch the progress, as Mike approaches the restoration. Nice that this one is in good hands!!

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: I have been lurking for a while after learning of a Heuer my friend owned. He offered it to me after seeing that I had restored a vintage Breitling that belonged to my dad's best friend. I think my friend appreciated that I took the trouble to make a sentimental piece a wearable watch. Craig at Chronodeco did the work on that watch. It's a little small for my taste (the Breitling) so it doesn't get much wrist time - my wife may wear it a little bit from time to time.

Now for the Heuer part which is more interesting to you than some sentimental Breitling from 1965.

Here's the good:

Now the bad (some aftermarket bracelet):

and now for The UGLY - my friend crashed his motorcycle while wearing this watch several years ago. The watch snagged on the pavement and broke his arm. It also did something nasty to the bezel/insert.

I am hoping to have the watch restored and add it to my modest rotation.

Thanks for the education you all provide. I hope to meet Jeff soon, as he and I both live in Atlanta.

Mike

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE