The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Yeah, well...

Brian A Posts: Porsche already has it's own design watch!!! [8/15/04 02:21 GMT]:

Yes, but we are associating watch brands with car brands, and I believe Heuer is most closely relatable to Porsche.

Both have an extensive background as provider of Sports oriented product in their field (Watches/Car's)... Until recently, Porsche had never made any sort of traditional sedan, until the Cayenne... Until the formation of TAG-Heuer one would be hard pressed to find a "true dress watch" among Heuer's products. Nearly every Heuer was a Sports watch or a tool watch of some flavor. This is the biggest distinction between Omega and Heuer in my opinion, in that Omega had it's Constellation and DeVille dress watch lines to counter-balance it's Speedmaster and Seamaster lines. This is something that Heuer really never explored on it's own at least until the intervention of TAG.

As for Porsche Design... In particular I find a great deal of similarity between Porsche Design - Orfina products and Heuer products of the same era...

For example...

I also just was the highest bidder on this 7750 Porsche Design Orfina, this fellow:

If you see what I mean... Now the IWC Porsche Design models were more distinctive than the Orfina produced models, Eterna Porsche Design seems to be a little bit of both previous firms...

and I have to agree with Chuck on this one...Rolex is like Bose - great marketing company making a very very good product, but they have the 'ordinary' guy thinking they are the 'best'....

Yes, most people only really know what they've seen as being the high head on the totem pole. It's typically only after they've bought into a Rolex, a Benz, that they discover there is another tier or two about those brands.

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

(Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Chronographs, like many things in life, only improve with age…

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE