The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
SomeThoughts...

SomeThoughts...

First off, the case styling certainly inspired by the Speedmaster moonwatch case, but an interesting combination of a "Pre-Moon" Sans-crown/pusher guard case with plain lugs, unlike the pre-moon, but more in line with the classic Carrera 12. The bracelet is clearly emulative of the current moonwatch bracelet style too.

Secondly, this is obviously a good sized watch... Why? Take a gander at the gap between the date window and the outer ring of the dial...

Here's the new TAG-Heuer Carrera automatic:

and here is my (non-)Pasadena 7750:

There is a lot more space between the edge of the dial and the date window.

I hope that TAG changes the color scheme of the date wheel to be white on black as I think that would really look cooler.

I'm not crazy about the small second's sub-dial marker, but it appears they are minimalizing that sub-dial in order to emphasize the horizonal symetery... I'd like to knock them, but I can tolerate that.

I don't mind the inclusion of "automatic, even though it's obvious by the sub-dial layout that this is a 7750 based watch. it ads to the vertiacl symetery of the dial. I only wish that TAG-Heuer would have choosen some other name than Carrera... This will be the first Valjoux Carrera, will most likely be a "Classics line" entry. Pasadena is the most obvious choice for this watch, but Riverside, Sebring, Laguna Seca, or any one of a number of other racing circuits (Mosport, Nurbergring, etc.) would have been better choices in my opinion.

Also notice the flat then raised then flat at the tips main timekeeping hands.

All in all a very interesting offering by TAG Heuer and one I will be watching closely for a bargain.

BTW... I do take exception (ok, a difference of opinon) on the "Speedmaster Date reject" quip... Frankly... If Omega made a Speedmaster Date that looked as good as this watch, I'd have bought one long ago. Reservations about Valjoux movements in Speedmasters not withstanding.... I think the Speedmaster Dates with their goofy looking date windows, and their gullioched dials look seriously goofy, and unbecomming to the Speedmaster line.

This watch ought to shake up the folks over in Bienne (Omega)... If the price is right, this one might just make them wet their pants.

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

(Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Chronographs, like many things in life, only improve with age…

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE