The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
My Three Keepers . . . Thanks to Everyone!!

Well, I am accused of being cruel to our readers, and forcing everyone into deep thoughts and painful decisions, so it is only fair that I also answer the question. I did not spend much time on the photo; it's just a quick point and shoot.

Here is the explanation:

• The Sinn is my "go to" watch . . . over the last six or eight years, this watch has more wrist time than any other watch in my collection; probably more wrist time than any two or three other watches. This is the watch for the morning run; the comfortable one that I switch into at night. So this one is the easy choice, in the real world.
  • The second execution Autavia was also an easy choice. To me, this one represents the very best of the vintage Heuers. Yes, there are some that are more rare, and others that are more valuable, but none that is better on the wrist. So if I will be left with one Heuer, this will be the one . . . a relatively easy decision for me.
  • I debated long and hard on the third watch -- should it be a Carrera? Or maybe a Monaco, just to have a watch with a different look? Or perhaps a dive watch or a pilots watch? In the end, I kept thinking about how much I have enjoyed this Rolex Explorer over the years, and it is a nice change from the chronographs . . . a simple three-hand watch, that will usually go unnoticed, with a timeless design and beautiful color.
So is this heresy . . . keeping only one Heuer, after all these years of collecting them? In the end, I decided that the Autavia could represent all the fantastic Heuers that I have owned . . . if I added a second one (probably a Carrera), then I would want to add a third one and a fourth one. So am at peace with the Explorer being the third one, as part of this small "forever" collection.

Thanks to everyone for a fantastic scan weekend . . . I hope that everyone will wake up happy, to have number four, number five and number six in the collections. Many of us are fortunate to have so many that we enjoy; perhaps this exercise has reminded all of us how lucky we are with our collections!!

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE