The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Military Autavia 2446C: my opinion...

I am firmly convinced that this argument has been closed too fast.
I say this friendly, of course, after studying the reference in question with great care: I have one ...

Let's analyze the characteristics that lead me to believe that's not a fake...

The first thing that catches the eye is the dial. Like all 2446C , the bezel is made ​​of anodized aluminum piece .
Except that on all watches of this series " Portuguese armed forces ," is completely black and has no exterior aluminum color.
This type of ring I have only seen on this series of watches.
The pushers are all fluted.
The crowns are all Heuer , in a measure of the 2446C, different from other references (and very, very rare...).
The dial is GMT's 2446 and Forcas Armadas logo is printed in excellent quality.
The caliber is a valjoux 72 (and not a 7736 as I heard through the grapevine ) .

The story of my watch , which was given me (for gift...) by a friend of Verona (that I will never cease to give thanks), it is very interesting.
He has bought a series of postiche (dial and complete case without movement... 4 to be precise), in one of his trips to Switzerland in search of watches for his collection . He bought a second-hand dealer known ( which sold watches to many Italian dealers ) 4 "kit" complete with everything, except for the movement in the '80s : each one different from the others (cabo verde, mozambico and 2 others that I can't remember now). The second-hand dealer , one who cleaned a lot of factory's stores at the time of the failures, taken these "postiche" from Heuer in '80 and told him that were commissioned by portoguese army and NEVER PAID (why were not assembled), stored and forgotten.
Then he jumped out of this stock and was sold. They were then mounted by every buyer.
Mr. Heuer does not remember to have ever made the Monaco PVD , which is also present in the museum and none think is a fake...

It 's easy to say " good or not good " by simply looking at a picture.
I like to see things in person, examine and study them carefully before expressing an opinion.
The fact remains that my watch is the gift of a friend and , as such, has a value that goes beyond mere economic quotation ...

Hope to be helpfull with this story.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE