The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Best of 2013

So, I'm going to skip most of Jeff's categories for this post. I didn't buy any watches in 2013 for a start. But some of the categories do still resonate, so let's look at those.

a box, carrying case, winder or other accessory that you are enjoying

A couple of entries here, both of which I got at the same time and both of which were generously given to me :) No names, no pack drill, but the givers know who is responsible for the buckle and lapel pin. Thanks again.

a get-together or meeting with other enthusiasts

Three entries this time. The last you can probably guess already, but there are two more that come to mind.

Early in January, I made a (rather more lengthy than expected) trip to Geneva for TH's 50 years of the Carrera event. Definitely worth the trip for the event itself, but, after having communicated via email and the occasional telephone call, I finally got to meet Jeff! The plan was to meet David Chalmers of Calibre 11 too, but that unfortunately didn't quite happen at the last moment.

And then in April, after an unusually long 4 years, I found myself back in Munich, where amongst other things I enjoyed a visit to the watch fair where I met two of our German contributors, michwir and Mick Tock, again for the first time.

Finally of course, there was the Collectors Summit in La Chaux de Fonds, where I would meet some previous acquaintances and meet yet more for the first time. Definitely a time to remember.

a new discovery from Heuer’s history

And it's at this event that I found the new discovery of the year. Namely the gilt and copper dials that I was previously unaware of in first gen Carreras. So what, you might think, a bunch of dials mounted on boards. But if you saw how much attention they garnered, and from how many of the people in the room, you'd understand the moment.

Let's go back to the start. I didn't buy a watch, but I do have a lot of Heuer memories of the year. 2014 has a lot to live up to!

Messages In This Thread

Best of 2013
Re: Best of 2013
Re: Best of 2013
And let's not forget...
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE