The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Additional information/scans/catalogs/thoughts...

guys:

I have created a page (or two) for these pilots chronographs, but have a couple of questions:

• what year were they introduced? I see them in 1980 catalog, but wonder whether they were introduced earlier.
    Jeff,
    Ê
    The earliest incidence of this type of chronograph is in the 1980 timeframe. I have posted nearly everything I have in the late 1970's timeframe, and have mainly the early 1980's and the TAG-Heuer stuff in front of me to scan... As those books are over 100 pages a piece... Well... I need to really psych myself up for the task of scanning them...
    However, this configuration of the 230.006 with a white outer bezel is one I've never seen in the flesh Àsteel?. Basically, there are two dial colors (Black/Silver), two movement types (Quartz/Automatic), two brands (Heuer/TAG-Heuer versions). A total of (2 x 2 x 2 =) 8 different combinations in this lline.
  • Heuer seems to call them "Aviation" chronographs in the catalogs. Are we OK with that name? The more common reference among the enthusiasts seems to be to "Pilots" chronographs. What'll it be?
Avaition is what they call them in the 1980 catalog. However the dial they are noted as "Pilots" and in the later catalogs they are called "Quartz Chronographs Pilot" (with notation of the Automatic version)...
Your choice... I don't think we call the Ref. 15640 YACHTING the "YACHTING"... We call it a Skipper... Or at least I do. But you make the call...

CHUCK -- as the leading enthusiast / devotee of these chronographs, can you help on these questions?

I dunno if I would go that far... Some people might get prickly about that kind of verbage... But hopefully I have been of some small assistance... But here is some more...

In addition to the writeup I previously mentioned (Heuer/TAG-Heuer Pilot's Chronographs), I remembered while replying to this I also have two quartz catalogs (One each in French and German), and an Automatic Catalog (in German) located here: Die Automatischen Chronographen - TAG-Heuer, Die Quartz Chronographen TAG-Heuer, Les Chronographes ˆ Quartz - TAG-Heuer

These are from the German source and feel free to grab them and host them here if you'd like...

Thanks,

Jeff

Please, let me know how I can be of further assistance... It'll be great to see these awesome watches get their due!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox (Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE