The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Heuer Autavia Ref. 7763 MH

I was lucky enough to acquire this beautiful 1968 Heuer Autavia Ref. 7763 MH w/compression case from the original owner recently. He bought it new in 1968 at the BX on Wheelus Air Base in Tripoli, Libya, about a month before Kadahfi overthrew King Idris in a military coup. It's cost.... $120! Love the history of this piece, and its size at 40mm. Owner is trying to find a pic of him wearing at that time.

Planning to keep this all original if possible. Bezel is in really nice shape, only the small "ding" at 7:00. A well earned battle scar as I understand. Lume is in very nice shape, consistent with age of watch, so no plans to try and re-lume hands/dial. I am thinking an overhaul of the movement, polish of case and some attention to the crystal.....which I believe will polish-out nicely. Leave the case back untouched to maintain what engraving is still visible. A new black leather rally strap with Heuer buckle to finish. Am I missing anything? Sorry, not in a position for a Heuer Gay Freres bracelet currently....unless someone has one they wish to donate! (Well, I can dream can't I)

I've sent to Richard Awiza - RA Time. (ratime@verizon.net">(ratime@verizon.net, www.ratime.com) to have service and restoration work done. Hopefully he will be able to start in the next week or so.

I'll post updates alone the way as available. Thanks for looking! Jeff

Messages In This Thread

Heuer Autavia Ref. 7763 MH
Re: Heuer Autavia Ref. 7763 MH
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE