The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
When an imperfection delivers perfection

Now i'm quick to admit i see beauty in evenly aged patina but to admire what is basically a fault/failure in a watch may seem strange, but thats whats happening here.

This dial would have started life as a standard metallic blue, without any hint of golden discolourisation, but some how the dials finish has broken down. We can all guess but no one can say with any certainty what has caused the process. It could be something as simple as some impurities in the dial cleaning process prior to applying paint through to a poor batch of paint or even the drying proceedure. Over the years any combination of exposure to light, darkness or moisture could have brought on the reaction we see here.

I remember admiring Nic Green's example ( shown here on the forum back in July 2010
http://www.chronocentric.com/forums/heuer/index.cgi?md=read;id=37058 ) & then held it in my own hands in December 2010 during the get together dinner in London the evening before the Bonhams auction.
I knew then & there if i had the opportunity to get one of these then i would persue it.
My chance came up in 2011 when i managed to locate this dial. It has been parked away in my parts box ever since waiting patiently whilst the rest of the components were gathered to complete my own example.

I am very pleased with the final result. This watch offers up such a different look to a standard watch, yet a non-Heuer educated enthusiast would look at the watch overall & think its as the manufacterer intended.
In this case the watch is as i visioned it would be & i'm very pleased with the results.

- Darren

Messages In This Thread

When an imperfection delivers perfection
Re: When an imperfection delivers perfection
Nice one Darren
Re: Beautiful
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE