The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Surrender NOT Accepted. Here is the Information.
In Response To: UNCLE!!!!!! *NM* ()

Quick history of this model is as follows:

• Heuer began producing these moonphase chronographs under the Abercrombie & Fitch name. I believe that this was in the early 1980's.

• Both the dial and the movement were marked for Abercrombie & Fitch; the movement was a modified Valjoux 7734.

• Sometime during the course of the production, Abercrombie either stopped ordering the chronos or Heuer had an over-supply of the components (the unique movements, dials, disks, etc.), so Heuer was left with loads of these relatively unique [bad phrase -- ??] and unusable parts.

• Making the best of a bad (or at least unexpected) situation, Heuer began producing these moonphase chronos under its own name . . . or at least, it put its name on the dial.

• The movements and case-backs were blank (since they were expected to be marked for Abercrombie & Fitch), and Heuer left them that way, even as they were used in the Heuer chronographs.

• I am uncertain about the specific history of the 125th anniversary model (shown by Michael), but would think that it was produced in 1985.

• The non-anniversary Heuer models have recently sold in the $800 to $1200 range. Oddly, I have never actually seen an Abercrombie model. I wonder whether Abercrombie might have cancelled the order before many were produced?

That's what I know right now. I will try to get some additional detials about the differences between the "standard" Heuer model and the "125th anniversary" model. Some differences are obvious from the photos.

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE