The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Rare and Beautiful Pre-Carrera Heuers

Heuers (60's/70's Autavias specifically) are what got me into serious vintage chronograph collecting.

Recently however, exposure to the great Italian chrono collectors on Instagram have resulted in me drifting away from Heuers and towards beautiful small (33-36mm) chronos from the 40's and 50's...Eberhards, Minervas, Vettas, Midos, Bovets, 33.3's, old V72's...black & gilt dials, sector dials, complicated snail dials, telemeters...the Italian chrono collectors have spectacular taste...

I found myself spending less and less time on this forum...until a week ago when I found 2 watches that reignited my Heuer passion...

Heuer Landeron 13 1940's or 50's
The "opposite" of a logical, clean Carrera; short lugs, complicated dial, very military. Waterproof screwback case with round pushers is about 35mm across and 12mm thick. Brushed sides (very sharp) and polished bezel. The polished hands and bezel shine in tandem under light. The black dial has both tachy and tele meters around the perimeter. What attracted me most to this model is those huge registers! They're so big they take up most of the dial!

Very reflective crystal makes it hard to take pics...

Next to my Juvenia with similar dial design:

Heuer Valjoux 72 Chrono 1950's
This is a bit of a mystery watch, but I've actually seen this exact same watch before at a dealer's with ref. 3742 engraved on the case back. I've also seen the exact same watch but branded Ulysse Nardin (and 5x the price). Finally there is also a Kelbert on carsandwatches.com that has the same case and pushers. Interestingly, this one has no serial# on the case. Its big for a 50's watch, approx. 37mm across and 13mm thick, with huge mushroom pushers that make it wear like 40mm. The lugs are 18mm which makes the watch feel even bigger.

It probably sat in a drawer for most of its life because it is in mint condition and the lume has turned a beautiful beige color. Leaf chrono hands are bright navy blue steel, which matches perfectly with the fantastic navy blue strap that Giuliano made for me. Interestingly, when you look closely the 30-min and 12-hour register hands are actually a dark brown, a very nice detail.

On a Navy Blue Giuliano strap:

Along with another V72, UG Compax Nina Rindt on a black Giuliano Strap:

Hope you enjoy, the pre-Carrera Heuers are fantastic watches too.

And once again thank you to my friend Giuliano for making such a beautiful navy blue strap. Bellissimo!

Best
G

Messages In This Thread

Rare and Beautiful Pre-Carrera Heuers
Re: Rare and Beautiful Pre-Carrera Heuers
Re: Rare and Beautiful Pre-Carrera Heuers
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE