The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
An Old Soldier Murdered

Forgive me, as this isn't about a Heuer, but about a silly watch that I picked up and came to love: A Vietnam era Glycine Airman. It was a great little watch, 24 hr dial, working hack, all original and just fun to wear. Then it started to run slow, so it was time for a service. I brought it into my regular guys, a mom & pop jewelry store who sent their watches for service to an old-timer in Brooklyn.

I cautioned them in advance to be careful of the hack, as I had heard the stories of how watchmakers who were unfamiliary with the watch would break it, and it was unfixable. They called me with the cost for service, and I reminded them again of the hack and told them to do it.

The watch came back. Hack broken, dial damaged (most of the luminous dots on the face gone and scratches to dial) and, beyond belief, the original minute hand gone and replaced with something else. I have no clue where it came from, but aside from having some lume on it, it's nothing like the original.

I am heartbroken. I argued with the guys, who informed me that the watchmaker said there was no such thing as a hack on that watch and why would he switch out the minute hand. It was absurd, but they were just defensive and denying everything.

I'm not looking for advice. Just so utterly frustrated by what happened and heartbroken that they ruined a 50 year old watch. No, it's not very valuable, though I was very fond of it. Yes, I could sue them if I was so inclined (I'm not). But they killed an old soldier, and denied it. I'm just heartbroken that any watchmaker would be so cavalier about an old watch.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE