The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
New Version of Abercrombie & Fitch Seafarer

With an eBay auction that ended last night (September 21), the Abercrombie & Fitch Seafarer shown below has been the subject of considerable interest, with mixed amounts of enthusiasm (for an execution that we have not seen previously) and skepticism (for an execution that we have not seen previously). That's right, the debut of a new execution generates both enthusiasm and skepticism.

I received several inquiries about this watch, did some homework, and believe that it is genuine (meaning that it was made by Heuer and that the dial is original). I will post details of my analysis sometime soon, but just wanted to post this quick message and image, to share my "bottom line" on the watch.

Let me add that I ended up not bidding on the watch -- the amount of rust in the movement and on the dial and hands, combined with the seller's conclusion that the tide dial was not rotating (either by using the pusher or advancing the time-of-day hands manually), left me concerned about the prospects for repairing the watch. Still, I am hoping that someone in our community bought it, and would wish them all the best in the repair / restoration.

Who else has thoughts on this one? Is the buyer among us?

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE