The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Some late essence of Heuer

Hi to all , i'm afraid i'm a little late with this posting but better late than never.

I thought long and hard about what i believe captures the "Essence of Heuer" & i came to the conclusion that there is no one defining charactoristic, model or moment that captures all that Heuer means to me. There are so many angles of intrigue for me.

- their links to motorsport, movies & celebreties
- the inspirational story of Jack Heuer himself, taking over & restyling the company
- the pure elegance of design in the various sports models
- & finally the fact that father bought an automatic Carrera new in the mid 1970's

With the above factors in consideration i decided that i would focus upon just 2 rare pieces i own that make me happy everytime i reach for them. They each have a story attatched to them & it makes them just that bit more special.

Heuer 2447 - black / gilt dial ( circa 1950 )
This watch was a wonderful estate find, it came with its original box but more importantly i found it in neighbouring Sweden ( i live in Denmark ) & the back case has a uncommon name engraving which i'm in the process of researching the previous owner.
Amazing to stare into this dark glossy dial, its as fresh as the day it was made.

photo 9C22049B-12B1-4DBF-BBD9-4F9C55623112.jpg

Next we have my beautifully aged 1962 dauphine hand Autavia 2446.
The oversized registers & dauphine hands define this model. The original owner allowed Heuer to change out the dauphine hands at a service somewhere around 1970 for baton style hands. At the time the watchmaker told him the baton hands would give the watch a more modern look - OMG !!! It took me 5+ years to correct that mistake but look at her now ;-)
My example has a faded bezel & patina to spare, its not a perfect example but the aged look just makes me love it all the more.

photo AA20D86C-B80C-4625-8B62-4BCDEB9BBA13.jpg

-
-
-
Here they are together

photo CA967F34-D74E-49B6-925A-910D8677D200.jpg

photo D706E20A-33B7-45CD-9D14-B9CC0787DB85.jpg

photo 983A4029-6CDD-429F-A96C-A3F1DFB4CE34.jpg

photo 5F5C9D3C-E0B6-4893-A974-10D68BA844D7.jpg

Glad to show you these two old classics - Darren

Messages In This Thread

Some late essence of Heuer
Re: Some late essence of Heuer
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE